The School World Sequence, my favourite baseball occasion of this or any yr, begins right this moment in Omaha, Neb. My fast picks: Texas over Oklahoma within the finals of the primary bracket, Auburn over Stanford within the finals of the second bracket and the Longhorns over the Tigers for the championship.
Now let’s get to some of your questions earlier than I resume my Draft Mix duties …
With many Draft prospects having a household lineage with baseball, which Draft prospects do you imagine would be the better of them? — @StevieDAles97
This Draft has extra potential first-rounders with sports activities ties than another I can bear in mind. I rely 10 gamers with baseball or soccer connections who may go within the high 30 picks, and it is potential that the primary 4 selections all may match that invoice. This is how I might line up these 10, with their kinfolk in parentheses (former large leaguers except in any other case famous):
1. Druw Jones, OF HS/Georgia, (son of Andruw)
2. Jackson Holliday, SS, HS/Oklahoma (son of Matt, nephew of Oklahoma State coach Josh)
3. Elijah Inexperienced, OF, HS/Florida (son of NFL tight finish Eric)
4. Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly (son of Cal Poly coach Larry, nephew of 1974 Giants first-rounder Terry)
5. Cam Collier, 3B, Chipola (Fla.) JC (son of Lou)
6. Justin Crawford, OF, HS/Nevada (son of Carl)
7. Jace Jung, 2B, Texas Tech (brother of 2019 Rangers first-rounder Josh)
8. Daniel Susac, C, Arizona (brother of Andrew)
9. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Tri-Metropolis/Frontier League (son of NFL defensive lineman Tracy)
10. Tucker Toman, 3B, HS/South Carolina (son of Center Tennessee State coach Jim)
Is there a greater duo of shortstop prospects on one farm than CJ Abrams & Jackson Merrill in San Diego? — @KyleWeatherly6
My preliminary thought was that though Abrams and Merrill are spectacular, I’d discover a higher pair of shortstop prospects in the identical system. However after contemplating instruments, previous and current efficiency and the chance that each gamers would stay at brief, I got here to the conclusion that the Padres do have the very best tandem. I rank the highest half-dozen duos on this order:
1. Padres: C.J. Abrams, Jackson Merrill
2. Yankees: Anthony Volpe, Oswald Peraza
3. Rockies: Ezequiel Tovar, Adael Amador
4. Mariners: Noelvi Marte, Edwin Arroyo
5. Reds: Elly de la Cruz, Matt McLain
6. Pirates: Oneil Cruz, Liover Peguero
You beforehand said that you’ve Druw Jones forward of Marcelo Mayer from when he was drafted. Is that also the case or has the burgeoning energy from Mayer pushed him forward? — @CaoChadTTV
Again within the Jan. 19 Pipeline Inbox, I in contrast the highest three prep prospects from every of the final 4 Draft crops and began my record with Bobby Witt Jr., adopted by Jones and Mayer. Although Mayer is batting .295/.376/.516 with 19 extra-base hits and eight steals in 30 Single-A video games at age 19, I will nonetheless give Jones a slim edge.
Jones has extra energy and considerably extra velocity than Mayer, and Jones is also a greater defender in heart subject than Mayer is at shortstop. It is definitely potential to make a case for Mayer primarily based on superior hitting means and the worth of a shortstop versus heart subject. However I will keep on with the man with the upper ceiling over the dude with the upper ground.
Which participant on the School World Sequence can have the very best MLB profession? — Chris B., Olathe, Kan.
There are three potential 2022 first-rounders who will play within the CWS: Stanford outfielder Brock Jones, Oklahoma shortstop Peyton Graham and Arkansas third baseman Cayden Wallace. They may very well be eclipsed by Mississippi shortstop Jacob Gonzalez, who is not eligible till 2023, and Arkansas infielder Peyton Stovall and Stanford outfielder/right-hander Braden Montgomery, each a part of the 2024 class.
Gonzalez is the very best prospect who will take the sector in Omaha over the following 10 days. He is a high quality left-handed hitter with at the least common energy and advantageous mastery of the strike zone, to not the point out the athleticism and powerful arm to stay at shortstop. He is a possible No. 1 total choose for subsequent yr.